Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thursdays


Thursdays are always strange. They are ALMOST as good as Fridays, but not quite. They are late enough in the week to taste freedom, but still a bit stifling. Why can't it just BE Friday already? Why must Thursday linger? Today is one of those beautiful days outside where you cant help but get excited for spring. It sounds so cheesy and trite to say such a thing, but honestly, you cannot help it. There are peacocks on the grounds where I work, and today they are excited. There are three males, and according to gossip, they are now without any female friends because the mating got too aggressive and one peacock was killed!

You men and your mating. Goodness.
Anyways, now by the end of the week they are always in a restless fit. They do dances to attract females, and send out thousands of mating cries. The traditional peacock that sits in the front of the Cathedral is the most determined. His all-white counterpart that spends his time near the Homeless Shelter building is much more calm. He seems to be waiting for the right lady friend to come to him. He is Mr. Confident.

They have the luxury of waiting around for the right person to come to them. Sadly, they have no idea that the females have been taken out of the compound and they are doomed to call out for them in vain. Humans have the advantage of being able to try different techniques to try and get a mate. Sometimes they get them by trying, and other times things just happen. I think that is what happened to me. I was sitting in class one day, and BOOM. Well, not quite. But almost. I know it's fairly dumb to say that we had been destined to meet all along, but I guess the faith part of my brain believes it. I believe that B and I were meant to be together, and that we would always have found each other. It may not have been right away, but we would have. We have many differences, but I think that is what makes me challenge myself in all sorts of ways.

There are never enough ways for me to express what my relationship means to me. That is not to say it is without its challenges, but the challenges are what is making us grow and change into new and more innovative people. I know that one day his ideas will be realized about making a difference through economic development and sustainable urban growth. He has many good ideas and has the people skills it needs to make people listen to you. He knows a lot about how to talk to people when he has something important to say--which is truly half the battle. One thing I have realized about falling deeper and deeper into love is that it can go two directions--you can lose yourself or you can really become yourself. B is teaching me more and more about what it is like to be me.

No comments: