Thursday, April 3, 2008

A New Mantra




Check out that pose! That is called a Bind, and it usually is done after you have already done your warrior positions. Slowly but surely I hope to learn all of these names. It could possibly take a long time. What I enjoy about this position is, quite frankly, its name. I don't even think I am advanced enough to do a Bind properly--and have tried several times to do so in class and have failed. B can do it I believe, but he is much more advanced than I am. This position, that I cannot do, is why I love Yoga. Or am beginning to love it.

Yoga takes something, like a Bind, and makes it the opposite of itself. It makes the Bind into something relaxing. It's not a Bind you can't get yourself out of. In fact, it is the opposite. It is a Bind that it is in your best interests to get into. This idea of turning your stress, your obstacles, your hardships into something necessary and fulfilling is, I think, what Yoga is all about. It needs to become what my life is all about as well. Taking the things that are struggling inside me, and confront them head on.

I have help in this regard. I am not a lone Yoga student alone on a beach (I wish I were on a beach!) I in fact have supportive friends and family to help me. Last night I went to a wedding expo, where there are TONS of brides to be--trying to figure out how they want to present their love to the world. Perhaps at our wedding Brunno and I can just do Yoga positions at the altar. This way, we can show people how we want our relationship to be presented--through the fact that we place ourselves in challenging positions and try to make them work for us.

I came home to a lovely site. I came home to candles and a bath. Two things a girl never turns down together. We just enjoyed each others company. I think sometimes what makes us strongest together is the fact that we are not afraid to confront the things that bind us. They make life hard, but they also make for those amazing moments when you can unravel, and just float.

No comments: